
tny
Nov 16, 04:26 PM
Do they have to remake a new "Universal Binary?" Because aren't the current UB's for Intel and PPC? Please tell me they wont. I don't wnat to have to wait again for new UB's
No. The AMD processors we're talking about have the same instruction set as the Intel processors Apple is currently using; in fact, the 64 bit extensions were written by AMD, not Intel (Intel's original 64-bit solution is Itanium, which on the seamier side of the computer trade - for instance, in the Register - is called the Itanic, because it is still sinking; eventually, Intel was forced to adopt AMD's extensions because the architecture is more compatible with the Pentium/x86 architecture).
Such a switch would be comparable in terms of technological impact to the switch from IBM for the G3 to Motorola for the G4, and then to IBM for the G5.
Now, if Apple switched to Intel Itanium or (if it were ever released again) the Digital Alpha, yes, a new form of Universal Binary would be needed. I suspect that the Cell processor is not completely compatible with the G5, so it's possible that a switch to Cell would require a new form of UB, too.
No. The AMD processors we're talking about have the same instruction set as the Intel processors Apple is currently using; in fact, the 64 bit extensions were written by AMD, not Intel (Intel's original 64-bit solution is Itanium, which on the seamier side of the computer trade - for instance, in the Register - is called the Itanic, because it is still sinking; eventually, Intel was forced to adopt AMD's extensions because the architecture is more compatible with the Pentium/x86 architecture).
Such a switch would be comparable in terms of technological impact to the switch from IBM for the G3 to Motorola for the G4, and then to IBM for the G5.
Now, if Apple switched to Intel Itanium or (if it were ever released again) the Digital Alpha, yes, a new form of Universal Binary would be needed. I suspect that the Cell processor is not completely compatible with the G5, so it's possible that a switch to Cell would require a new form of UB, too.
zephxiii
Jan 2, 10:35 AM
I for one will be staying with AT&T if and when Verizon gets the iPhone. I'll also be laughing while Verizon suffers the same fate that AT&T did as millions of users hit their network at once. I don't care how "strong" Verizon's network is, I don't think they're ready for the heavy hit they're going to take.
The situation is completely different for VZW than it was for ATT.
Firstly AT&T was the only network provider for the iPhone, this won't be the case for VZW. Secondly AT&T was at the very initial stages of 3G deployment with only a single channel deployed on 1900mhz compared to VZW using their entire spectrum for one network set. AT&T at the time was only using (and still is for the most part) a fraction of their spectrum for 3G.
Though this is Apple's first time messing with a CDMA radio, I wonder how bad they will screw it up? lol.
The situation is completely different for VZW than it was for ATT.
Firstly AT&T was the only network provider for the iPhone, this won't be the case for VZW. Secondly AT&T was at the very initial stages of 3G deployment with only a single channel deployed on 1900mhz compared to VZW using their entire spectrum for one network set. AT&T at the time was only using (and still is for the most part) a fraction of their spectrum for 3G.
Though this is Apple's first time messing with a CDMA radio, I wonder how bad they will screw it up? lol.
ironsienna
Apr 30, 09:23 AM
more like late 2012. milestone 2 already leaked
Late 2012??…. I think we finally found what the cause of the doomsday will be…!
And even if they are not the cause, they have to be 2012-end-of-the-world proof safe :D
Late 2012??…. I think we finally found what the cause of the doomsday will be…!
And even if they are not the cause, they have to be 2012-end-of-the-world proof safe :D

Warbrain
Sep 12, 08:15 AM
mate im hyped as well might get some sleep, get up early...... i need a new ipod, im due for an update..... my 3g stuffed up today, earphone jack doesent work anymore:( it has had a great life:D
At least your 3G iPod had enough battery to last through one song.
At least your 3G iPod had enough battery to last through one song.
Al Coholic
May 3, 04:53 PM
Ok, I'm taking down the names of all the carrier defenders here.
The next time you people bitch about the cable companies or magazine publishers charging you twice for the "one" thing you paid for I'm gonna be all over you.
The next time you people bitch about the cable companies or magazine publishers charging you twice for the "one" thing you paid for I'm gonna be all over you.

manhattanboy
Apr 5, 04:47 PM
I'm going to start a TV channel that only shows commercials.
Its called network television.
No. The idea is very good in fact:
I think Apple should release an app that just sucks down your dollars merely for opening it. :D
Its called network television.
No. The idea is very good in fact:
I think Apple should release an app that just sucks down your dollars merely for opening it. :D
JoeG4
Mar 18, 09:34 PM
I admit, I do get sick of my iPhone-loving friends saying ew every time I bring out/mention my phone. Maybe they're jealous when we're in the same building they've got no signal and I've got some EDGE still. XD

mkrishnan
Sep 8, 08:17 AM
How is he a 'no-talent ass clown'.
That term should be reserved for one person and one person only:
http://www.hollywoodimages.net/Michael_Bolton.jpg
Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.
http://www.thecobrasnose.com/images3/OSM&Ssm.jpg
:D
That term should be reserved for one person and one person only:
http://www.hollywoodimages.net/Michael_Bolton.jpg
Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.
http://www.thecobrasnose.com/images3/OSM&Ssm.jpg
:D
dethmaShine
Apr 12, 06:16 PM
The Windows task bar is now by far much better with the addition of aero peek
Networking, its easier, faster and generally better then dealing with OSX
To some extent yes, but with expose in SL, Apple already implements the best of the dock features. But yes, hyperdock would be cool.
In general though I think apple needs to add features to catch up because MS has caught up and surpassed apple with windows 7.
Surpassed how? What are those features?
I guess the bottom line for me is this: I see Microsoft working hard and adding features, to improve the OS. I see apple working hard at making OSX act more like an iPad. I also think given that they really didn't provide the consumer features in 10.6 that they should have done that in 10.7. Its not like they didn't have time, given that SL was released in 2009
That's just your misconception. There's no harm in making it iPad like if it becomes better. If you think your status will go down because you're using a product that's a bit derived from a so called toy, then its up to you.
You really don't know what you are talking about.
Networking, its easier, faster and generally better then dealing with OSX
To some extent yes, but with expose in SL, Apple already implements the best of the dock features. But yes, hyperdock would be cool.
In general though I think apple needs to add features to catch up because MS has caught up and surpassed apple with windows 7.
Surpassed how? What are those features?
I guess the bottom line for me is this: I see Microsoft working hard and adding features, to improve the OS. I see apple working hard at making OSX act more like an iPad. I also think given that they really didn't provide the consumer features in 10.6 that they should have done that in 10.7. Its not like they didn't have time, given that SL was released in 2009
That's just your misconception. There's no harm in making it iPad like if it becomes better. If you think your status will go down because you're using a product that's a bit derived from a so called toy, then its up to you.
You really don't know what you are talking about.
chicagdan
Nov 16, 12:35 PM
Here we go folks.
Just to put everybody's mind at ease. These are the guys who predicted the arrival of a G5 iBook in early 2005.
They have never, ever been right.
Not only are they always wrong, their rumors don't even make sense. AMD doesn't have a competitive notebook CPU and can't deliver in the scale Apple needs. These guys can't even fabricate a decent lie.
Just to put everybody's mind at ease. These are the guys who predicted the arrival of a G5 iBook in early 2005.
They have never, ever been right.
Not only are they always wrong, their rumors don't even make sense. AMD doesn't have a competitive notebook CPU and can't deliver in the scale Apple needs. These guys can't even fabricate a decent lie.

Ryeno
May 4, 07:34 AM
I don't know, but it seems you guys are paying way more than what I am paying here in Hong Kong.
Around $50 USD per month, it comes with 3900 minutes voice + unlimited data and free to use on tethering. And we are talking about the speed like this:
Comptition is good. :D
There is a big difference between paying more for service that costs the carriers more and paying for a service/feature that doesn't cost the carriers anything.
America is HUGE compared to Hong Kong to Europe so it costs the carriers far more to get coverage.
Around $50 USD per month, it comes with 3900 minutes voice + unlimited data and free to use on tethering. And we are talking about the speed like this:
Comptition is good. :D
There is a big difference between paying more for service that costs the carriers more and paying for a service/feature that doesn't cost the carriers anything.
America is HUGE compared to Hong Kong to Europe so it costs the carriers far more to get coverage.
Cutwolf
Mar 17, 01:20 AM
"Haters"?
Attack of the 16 year olds.
Explains a lot.
I hope he sold you a stolen iPad and you get arrested.
Attack of the 16 year olds.
Explains a lot.
I hope he sold you a stolen iPad and you get arrested.
twoodcc
May 8, 11:01 PM
It is folding at stock speed with threading turned off and it is doing big normal units at 3 minutes per frame. For some reason it hasn't gotten any -bigadv units since I set it up like this. It is using all 6 cores at least.
awe man. well at least you have it going. it's too bad you don't have it running bigadv units though.
3.7 is still really good, hope it stays there ok.
thanks. yeah i can live with 3.7. i just hope it stays stable
I'm starting to think that gpu's are the only way to go from now on; you tend not to lose wu's on them and if you do it only takes a couple of hours to catch up to where you were on the last one, not the day or 2 like bigadv units.
Hope that Alienware rig works ok now, can you get anymore gpu's in it?
yeah that's true, but the gpus use more power and so then more heat than the bigadv units. with bigadv, you get more points/power usage, which is a big deal. but they can be a headache.
thanks. no, the alienware only holds 2 double wide gpus. now i have to in there and they are both going.
awe man. well at least you have it going. it's too bad you don't have it running bigadv units though.
3.7 is still really good, hope it stays there ok.
thanks. yeah i can live with 3.7. i just hope it stays stable
I'm starting to think that gpu's are the only way to go from now on; you tend not to lose wu's on them and if you do it only takes a couple of hours to catch up to where you were on the last one, not the day or 2 like bigadv units.
Hope that Alienware rig works ok now, can you get anymore gpu's in it?
yeah that's true, but the gpus use more power and so then more heat than the bigadv units. with bigadv, you get more points/power usage, which is a big deal. but they can be a headache.
thanks. no, the alienware only holds 2 double wide gpus. now i have to in there and they are both going.
Aniej
Jan 5, 11:09 AM
isn't there perhaps an easier solution to this? Why don't we either talk to one of the moderators on here or someone who doesn't mind can go onto apple's website and the direct link to the feed when it is up.
bushido
Apr 29, 02:25 PM
When it is publicly released.
been using Lion since DP1 as my main OS without problems
been using Lion since DP1 as my main OS without problems

Lord Blackadder
May 5, 09:24 PM
OP or OPer?
Original Post. ;)
Original Post. ;)
tvachon
Jan 9, 02:01 PM
Well I know that the keynote is encoded and uploaded with 90% certianity by now, but they use Akamai for distrubuted large files. It takes a file about 45 minutes to populate across Akamai's servers globally. Apple won't post the link until that is done.

bruinsrme
Oct 6, 12:07 PM
The iPhone to Verizon won't happen, especially with the announcement today that Verizon is teaming up with Google and their Android phone. I at first thought the commercial was just a leverage ploy on Verizons part, working on Apple and their negotiations. Now I think it's just the first shot over the bow.
Time to look at unlocking and bailing to T-Mo again and get out of this crap-shoot called AT$T.
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091006-709550.html
i have been waiting for that announcement.
The iphone is great but the jailbreaking thing and the efforts made by apple to prevent jailbreaking is wearing.
It will be interesting to see if the jailbreaking community starts to move over to a more open platform (if its more open of course)
Time to look at unlocking and bailing to T-Mo again and get out of this crap-shoot called AT$T.
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091006-709550.html
i have been waiting for that announcement.
The iphone is great but the jailbreaking thing and the efforts made by apple to prevent jailbreaking is wearing.
It will be interesting to see if the jailbreaking community starts to move over to a more open platform (if its more open of course)
SockRolid
Apr 16, 05:28 AM
wow the iOS/Apple closed ecosystem must really be the WORSE THANG EVAR if google is trying to trying to do it.
Dumpster fires are open. Weedpatches are open. Cesspools are open.
Pick one and jump in.
Dumpster fires are open. Weedpatches are open. Cesspools are open.
Pick one and jump in.
atari1356
Sep 25, 11:03 AM
Why are people rating this news as negative? It seems like a decent update to a good program, and it's free for existing Aperture users. What were you expecting?
anotherarunan
Jan 15, 03:22 PM
Nothing on the cinema displays? Does anyone else think the displays are rapidly loosing market share due to a lack of updates over the last 18+ months?
i agree. I think it would have made sense to drop them in price in line with the mac pro update...and they didnt
so i then thought there was something new and radical at macworld...and no.
only thing i can think of now, is that they will get an update alongside a mac mini update (whenever that happens) because IMO they are starting to look very overpriced!
i agree. I think it would have made sense to drop them in price in line with the mac pro update...and they didnt
so i then thought there was something new and radical at macworld...and no.
only thing i can think of now, is that they will get an update alongside a mac mini update (whenever that happens) because IMO they are starting to look very overpriced!
dr Dunkel
May 2, 11:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
Location tracking "bug"... haha... well, I'm glad Apple got caught.
Location tracking "bug"... haha... well, I'm glad Apple got caught.
lmalave
Oct 19, 10:44 AM
Well my 1300 shares will become 2600 in less than an year.:D Apple will keep going up and up as long the economy does not tank.:)
Showoff ;)
You're basically bragging that you have $100K in Apple stock. Nice!!!! :D Your faith is being rewarded handsomely...
Showoff ;)
You're basically bragging that you have $100K in Apple stock. Nice!!!! :D Your faith is being rewarded handsomely...
Mac'nCheese
Apr 28, 09:59 AM
In a dreamland, sure, it works out great.
Reality: Guy and a woman in adjacent stalls. Man drops his phone on the ground. Picks it up. woman assumes he is taking photos of her under the stall. Etc.
I guess they will have to think of a way to get the stall walls to go all the way to the ground. If we could put a man on the moon....
Personally, I like the setup at this Nyc market I went to. All bathrooms were one toilet/urinal/sink. One at a time or a family would go in. Problem solved.
Reality: Guy and a woman in adjacent stalls. Man drops his phone on the ground. Picks it up. woman assumes he is taking photos of her under the stall. Etc.
I guess they will have to think of a way to get the stall walls to go all the way to the ground. If we could put a man on the moon....
Personally, I like the setup at this Nyc market I went to. All bathrooms were one toilet/urinal/sink. One at a time or a family would go in. Problem solved.
No comments:
Post a Comment