darkwing
Mar 23, 11:39 AM
I've been taking screenshots of when they connect to my network and writing down who is home in the neighborhood when it is connected. Also have my router set to log IP addresses just in case.
Excellent! :)
I'm not too sure about stealing internet in this area. Its a college town with a ton of apartments so I'm sure there is a lot of it going on. Whether the police do anything about it or not is a mystery to me.
This is kind of a tricky situation... it's stealing, but if you allow it to happen you basically suck. :P
When I last went home to visit parents, I found an open router called "linksys" and I connected to its conf page using the default login/password and changed the SSID to "open_router_please_hack_me" ;)
Excellent! :)
I'm not too sure about stealing internet in this area. Its a college town with a ton of apartments so I'm sure there is a lot of it going on. Whether the police do anything about it or not is a mystery to me.
This is kind of a tricky situation... it's stealing, but if you allow it to happen you basically suck. :P
When I last went home to visit parents, I found an open router called "linksys" and I connected to its conf page using the default login/password and changed the SSID to "open_router_please_hack_me" ;)

satkin2
Apr 29, 03:04 PM
I really can't see Apple removing the usage for 'pro' users. They're just making it more welcoming for the millions who are now in the Apple ecosystem through iOS devices.
My understanding is that unlike Windows, Apple offers one (or two if server edition) version of the OS, be the most experienced pro or the new comer you use the same system.
I would expect Apple to make the Mac OS to be far more like iOS in that you do what you see, so the new comer isn't faced with libraries etc; however, somewhere in the system there will be options to view and access the deeper lying elements of the OS that the average user won't need to ever see.
My understanding is that unlike Windows, Apple offers one (or two if server edition) version of the OS, be the most experienced pro or the new comer you use the same system.
I would expect Apple to make the Mac OS to be far more like iOS in that you do what you see, so the new comer isn't faced with libraries etc; however, somewhere in the system there will be options to view and access the deeper lying elements of the OS that the average user won't need to ever see.
leekohler
Apr 25, 07:26 PM
I agree they are idiots and I already stated they should call the cops.
OP, I clicked on the article and the title is different from this thread. I do agree that the employees on duty at McDonald's be held responsible in the beating of a trans woman.
I know. Sloppy on my part, but I had to shorten the title. It would not fit.
OP, I clicked on the article and the title is different from this thread. I do agree that the employees on duty at McDonald's be held responsible in the beating of a trans woman.
I know. Sloppy on my part, but I had to shorten the title. It would not fit.
Chip NoVaMac
Mar 13, 04:23 PM
To say that Apple innovates anything these days is disingenuous, at best.
What Apple does is define what is stylish and chic. This isn't a negative thing, however. Style is very important because a poorly designed product can be a pain to use and doesn't make us feel good about our purchases.
There are a host of innovators across the tech world, but Apple isn't one of them. If I want to find the next building material or breakthrough mechanism, I'm certainly not going to look at Apple.
On the other hand, if I want to find the one company that is going to take existing technology and make it stylish, sleek, easy to use, and generally fun to use, then I look squarely at Apple.
No matter how frustrated I become with some of Apple's choices (for example, why can't I have a matte mbp without a custom order like I could a few years ago?), I must admit that its products are always beautiful and much easier to use than others on the market.
That's really where Apple's strength lies. Other companies haven't figured out how to "un-techhead" their product lines.
Can you say just one company that seems to capture the needs/desires as Apple has?
I don'y see lines for the latest Droid phone or pad...
Like it or not of late; Apple knows how do things right...
What Apple does is define what is stylish and chic. This isn't a negative thing, however. Style is very important because a poorly designed product can be a pain to use and doesn't make us feel good about our purchases.
There are a host of innovators across the tech world, but Apple isn't one of them. If I want to find the next building material or breakthrough mechanism, I'm certainly not going to look at Apple.
On the other hand, if I want to find the one company that is going to take existing technology and make it stylish, sleek, easy to use, and generally fun to use, then I look squarely at Apple.
No matter how frustrated I become with some of Apple's choices (for example, why can't I have a matte mbp without a custom order like I could a few years ago?), I must admit that its products are always beautiful and much easier to use than others on the market.
That's really where Apple's strength lies. Other companies haven't figured out how to "un-techhead" their product lines.
Can you say just one company that seems to capture the needs/desires as Apple has?
I don'y see lines for the latest Droid phone or pad...
Like it or not of late; Apple knows how do things right...
more...
ironsienna
Apr 30, 04:40 AM
That's interesting. The way you used a capital letter at the start of the sentence reminded me of my new project, available soon etc,,..
Hilarious :p
Now that Im looking on that though, I think that they got the idea from the tea round app site:
http://www.tearoundapp.com/
The slider looks so similar to the older - new ical design
Hilarious :p
Now that Im looking on that though, I think that they got the idea from the tea round app site:
http://www.tearoundapp.com/
The slider looks so similar to the older - new ical design

Markleshark
Sep 12, 06:29 AM
I think/hope it will be included in iTunes. Not that it matters to me I guess, I wont buy films off it.
more...
Ygn
Nov 6, 08:38 AM
To my surprise I can't find another thread about the new Call of Duty game released on the 9th... so here it is.
Has anyone pre-ordered their copy of CoD: Black Ops? And what platform are you getting it on, it's gonna be PS3 for me.
My order with Amazon changed to 'Dispatching Soon' earlier. :)
Has anyone pre-ordered their copy of CoD: Black Ops? And what platform are you getting it on, it's gonna be PS3 for me.
My order with Amazon changed to 'Dispatching Soon' earlier. :)
Multimedia
Oct 4, 07:49 AM
The people I have spoken to who use PC's are not nerds or power users, however, they do have monitors that work perfectly fine and want to use them. Why would someone purchase a 20" iMac when they already have sitting on their desk a 12 month old 19" LCD? They may not all need expandability (or really understand what that means) but they are of the mind set that they must have the option. These people are simply not considering Apple computers because of the lack of an upgradeable computer that is under $1500 (the mini is not easily upgradeable unless you happen to be one of those nerds you are refering to). The gap between the mini and the Mac Pro is enormous in both power and price yet there is nothing in the middle price/power range. Simply dismissing this catagory of people will not convince them to buy an iMac. Further, saying the operating system will convince them to switch is a moot point if they never buy the computer in the first place.
My friends, family, and co-workers are all interested in this "OS X thing" but get turned off at the price of the Pro, the lack of power of the mini, and the all in one of the iMac. This is what I am seeing, and Apple is losing sales because of it.
Bravo. Apple Marketing needs a new Sheriff.You said the exact reasons why I bought a new PC tower and not a Mac, although I wanted to get a Mac.I completely understand your frustration. It's ridiculous what Apple is not doing to fill this obvious product line black hole which is sucking all the potential sales of Macs over to the PC side. :eek: :( :mad:
My friends, family, and co-workers are all interested in this "OS X thing" but get turned off at the price of the Pro, the lack of power of the mini, and the all in one of the iMac. This is what I am seeing, and Apple is losing sales because of it.
Bravo. Apple Marketing needs a new Sheriff.You said the exact reasons why I bought a new PC tower and not a Mac, although I wanted to get a Mac.I completely understand your frustration. It's ridiculous what Apple is not doing to fill this obvious product line black hole which is sucking all the potential sales of Macs over to the PC side. :eek: :( :mad:
more...
vassillios
Apr 15, 12:37 PM
Obviously fake. Look at the slanted iPhone writing on the bottom photo. Horrible photoshop skills
GorillaPaws
Mar 28, 04:12 PM
So..What great App you all feel is going to be excluded by this change? I did not see anything from last years winners that could not be in the app store if the developer wanted.
Any app that uses a private API to bypass a bug in Apple's code and thereby improve the end-user's experience for one.
Any app that uses a private API to bypass a bug in Apple's code and thereby improve the end-user's experience for one.
more...
idunn
Mar 25, 03:06 PM
'Consequently, Apple has chosen to position the next step in the evolution of Mac OS X as "Back to the Mac", an effort to bring some of the most popular features of iOS to the Mac platform for the first time while retaining the familiarity, flexibility, and horsepower of Mac OS X.'
- per 'Macrumors'
;) A lot of fantastic change in but 10 years. In looking back, I'm somewhat amazed at the evolution of Apple. Happy Birthday.
If still basically loyal to Apple, I would note, in hopefully helping the brand, certain lapses such as apparently quality control in some aspects of the new iPad2. Other areas as well. Just something to be mindful of, and with luck smoothed out soon.
As for OS X, I've wondered of late if the natural progression would not be a merging of iOS and OS X into one. Although it certainly should not be a merger in one direction only. Some of the discussions on the iPad forum concern those frustrated with the limitations of iOS for real work, such as lack of a real file system. Some have postulated, and surely rightly so, that the iPad is still a device best used in conjunction with something running OS X. The same would hold true for users of the iPhone, as likely very few who consider it their only computer. So, ideally, I could see the best traits of either OS merged into one better, and that expanded in capability.
In any event, if imperfect, Apple still the best, and much to love.
- per 'Macrumors'
;) A lot of fantastic change in but 10 years. In looking back, I'm somewhat amazed at the evolution of Apple. Happy Birthday.
If still basically loyal to Apple, I would note, in hopefully helping the brand, certain lapses such as apparently quality control in some aspects of the new iPad2. Other areas as well. Just something to be mindful of, and with luck smoothed out soon.
As for OS X, I've wondered of late if the natural progression would not be a merging of iOS and OS X into one. Although it certainly should not be a merger in one direction only. Some of the discussions on the iPad forum concern those frustrated with the limitations of iOS for real work, such as lack of a real file system. Some have postulated, and surely rightly so, that the iPad is still a device best used in conjunction with something running OS X. The same would hold true for users of the iPhone, as likely very few who consider it their only computer. So, ideally, I could see the best traits of either OS merged into one better, and that expanded in capability.
In any event, if imperfect, Apple still the best, and much to love.

Surf Monkey
Mar 17, 12:55 AM
You're classy.
I hope karma greets you tomorrow morning with a swift kick in the mouth.
Well... You certainly put a finer point on it than I did.
I hope karma greets you tomorrow morning with a swift kick in the mouth.
Well... You certainly put a finer point on it than I did.
more...
Eidorian
Sep 12, 08:27 AM
I hope we can get 10.4.8 too. :rolleyes:
Hovey
Jul 21, 10:49 AM
I hate to add to this whole tiresome "debate" but it does amuse me how a video of an iPhone 4 losing signal is proof *positive* of a design flaw whereas a similar video of a different smartphone is no proof at all!
I have an iPhone 4, its the best phone I have ever had and by a mile! I'm happy with it and frankly I'm pretty much sick and tired of folks telling me I'm mad or stupid for saying so!
Keith
Yes there does seem to be a double standard when it comes to online video credibility.
I have an iPhone 4, its the best phone I have ever had and by a mile! I'm happy with it and frankly I'm pretty much sick and tired of folks telling me I'm mad or stupid for saying so!
Keith
Yes there does seem to be a double standard when it comes to online video credibility.
more...
benbow
Nov 24, 03:08 AM
17" iMac 2.0Ghz ordered 20 minutes ago.
A check off box at check-out enrolls me in Apple recycling program.
The $101 iMac discount becomes $93 in California because of a state imposed extra tax for new computer monitor purchases. $ goes to local dumps to help pay for the processing of dumped computer gear.
monitor 4-14.9" $6 (MacBook)
monitor 15-34.9" $8 (everything else)
monitor >35" $10 (future iMacs?)
A check off box at check-out enrolls me in Apple recycling program.
The $101 iMac discount becomes $93 in California because of a state imposed extra tax for new computer monitor purchases. $ goes to local dumps to help pay for the processing of dumped computer gear.
monitor 4-14.9" $6 (MacBook)
monitor 15-34.9" $8 (everything else)
monitor >35" $10 (future iMacs?)

applefanDrew
Apr 25, 12:00 PM
Doesn't the status bar look taller? I remember a thread on here talking about how they overheard engineers discussing iOS 5 and that was one of the things that would be different. It was going to allow for an SBSettings type of thing and maybe a place for notifications to scroll? Anyways, cool. But I think this is fake.
more...

Yakuza
Apr 16, 07:34 AM
This shell may be fake, in terms of design I also think it looks a bit archaic, "squared", but looking back at this last iMac and the iPad (with the aluminum back cover) i guess that's the way Apple will go with the next iphone.
It'll look DAMN sexy :D
Way to go Malim :). Can it be a first prototype?
It'll look DAMN sexy :D
Way to go Malim :). Can it be a first prototype?
macidiot
Oct 19, 03:11 PM
How does one go about buying stock? Never done it before, except in Economics class and I lost a bunch of fake stock. :p
I was thinking of buying a couple hundred bucks worth. Any advice? I just want to get my feet wet here and have some fun watching it go.
Open an account with a brokerage.
Pick up the phone or go online and buy stock.
Done.
As far as which brokerage, it's up to you. But I'd really steer clear of any full service brokerage (like Merrill Lynch or Morgan Stanley). They try to rape you on fees. I like Fidelity myself, but Schwab, etrade, etc. are all fine.
Considering the very small amount your investing, fees are a big deal. Try to find one that offers low commision fees.
Oh, and usually there is a minimum dollar amount you need to open an account. I don't know what it is, but it's pretty low.
Finally, considering the small amount your talking about, unless your just doing it for fun, I wouldn't even bother with stock. Just buy an unmanaged S&P index fund. It's mindless and you'll outperform about 90% of the "experts."
I was thinking of buying a couple hundred bucks worth. Any advice? I just want to get my feet wet here and have some fun watching it go.
Open an account with a brokerage.
Pick up the phone or go online and buy stock.
Done.
As far as which brokerage, it's up to you. But I'd really steer clear of any full service brokerage (like Merrill Lynch or Morgan Stanley). They try to rape you on fees. I like Fidelity myself, but Schwab, etrade, etc. are all fine.
Considering the very small amount your investing, fees are a big deal. Try to find one that offers low commision fees.
Oh, and usually there is a minimum dollar amount you need to open an account. I don't know what it is, but it's pretty low.
Finally, considering the small amount your talking about, unless your just doing it for fun, I wouldn't even bother with stock. Just buy an unmanaged S&P index fund. It's mindless and you'll outperform about 90% of the "experts."
Al Coholic
Apr 29, 01:46 PM
Can't wait. Hopefully we'll officially get to see more stuff than what's been previewed so far.
Everything and I mean *everything* is constantly being shared from these developer's builds. Check youtube. It is what it is. There are no killer features in iLion. Certainly nothing like going from Tiger to Leopard.
Everything and I mean *everything* is constantly being shared from these developer's builds. Check youtube. It is what it is. There are no killer features in iLion. Certainly nothing like going from Tiger to Leopard.
IJ Reilly
Oct 19, 10:22 AM
Do you believe that the perpetual delay of Microsoft's Vista OS is allowing Apple to temporarily grab up some of the markey share?
Maybe, but the "Vista effect" is really just a reminder of how slowly Microsoft moves, compared to Apple. It has always been thus. Long wait, yawn. Long wait, yawn. This is what it means to be a Microsoft customer. Have you heard anyone say that they are anxiously anticipating Vista? Microsoft will try to generate some synthetic excitement over Vista, but in reality, hardly anyone will really care.
The bottom line is, Apple is cool again -- and this is reflected in their sales numbers. This is due in no small part to the iPod, of course.
Maybe, but the "Vista effect" is really just a reminder of how slowly Microsoft moves, compared to Apple. It has always been thus. Long wait, yawn. Long wait, yawn. This is what it means to be a Microsoft customer. Have you heard anyone say that they are anxiously anticipating Vista? Microsoft will try to generate some synthetic excitement over Vista, but in reality, hardly anyone will really care.
The bottom line is, Apple is cool again -- and this is reflected in their sales numbers. This is due in no small part to the iPod, of course.
CalfCanuck
Sep 25, 12:05 PM
I hope that we'll all be pleased with the improved DB code for searching, keywords, etc. It always seemed to me that THIS was the major failure of Aperture. It's RAW onscreen conversions were never bad in terms of speed, given the amount of processing that was going on. But the old DB searchs of 15 seconds (with NO conversions!) always implied poorly written code/bad code design.
With 1.5 and the expanding list of supported computers, it appears that the Aperture team finally cleaned up this mess. Hopefully the result will be a pleasant surprise for all.
Here's my earlier post where I talked more about keyword imprivements, esp the new "no" keyword option which was MY major gripe for such a minor issue:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2878430#post2878430
With 1.5 and the expanding list of supported computers, it appears that the Aperture team finally cleaned up this mess. Hopefully the result will be a pleasant surprise for all.
Here's my earlier post where I talked more about keyword imprivements, esp the new "no" keyword option which was MY major gripe for such a minor issue:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2878430#post2878430
quagmire
Jul 27, 11:25 AM
Chevrolet announced the Volt will be priced at $41,000 before tax credits. You can choose to lease it for $350/month.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/its-official-chevrolet-volt-41-000-chevrolet-begins-taking-orders-94080/
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/its-official-chevrolet-volt-41-000-chevrolet-begins-taking-orders-94080/
chrisd1974
Apr 21, 09:55 AM
Thank God (or should I say Demi-god :) ) that you closed this post down earlier. I promise to not try and engage the Brit or the Irishman in a conversation ever again!
Wait a minute! I was drunk when I wrote my posts - what's your excuse! May I refer you to the following section of the MacRumors 'rules for appropriate debate'.
Insults. Slurs and insults against groups of people based on negative-stereotyping and obvious generalizations fall into the category of trolling and will be treated as such.
The Brit and the Irishman?!? :eek: :eek: Bigot! (look it up)
PS - I'm only kidding, go have a sit down.
Have a nice day.
Wait a minute! I was drunk when I wrote my posts - what's your excuse! May I refer you to the following section of the MacRumors 'rules for appropriate debate'.
Insults. Slurs and insults against groups of people based on negative-stereotyping and obvious generalizations fall into the category of trolling and will be treated as such.
The Brit and the Irishman?!? :eek: :eek: Bigot! (look it up)
PS - I'm only kidding, go have a sit down.
Have a nice day.
7o7munoz7o7
Dec 13, 05:08 PM
How about not even putting it up on the site? My question was why do they have to have a new article for every time someone says that?
As for peeing pants, ok, maybe people aren't peeing their pants. But obviously people care enough to post these this rumor every time another site posts the rumor. I'm just tired of seeing dozens of new articles about this place or that place saying "iPhone on Verizon after Christmas!" Ok, I get it! People expect a Verizon iPhone. Get over it. This is kinda like the Beatles on iTunes, or people talking for months that Michael Jackson died, etc.
Anyone know a good news site that says what has happened and then move on to the next news item? If this is all that MacRumors is going to post, I think it may be time to say goodbye to MacRumors. Just tired of seeing the same rumors repeated over & over again.
Yeah I think its time for you to say goodbye....whats wrong with talking about Michael Jackson dying? He was a great, and just because he died didnt mean his music and fans did...everyone that wants the VZW iPhone are going to read the articles that talks about it...if you dont care about this, then dont move your hand and click on the link about this. Sick of people like you.
As for peeing pants, ok, maybe people aren't peeing their pants. But obviously people care enough to post these this rumor every time another site posts the rumor. I'm just tired of seeing dozens of new articles about this place or that place saying "iPhone on Verizon after Christmas!" Ok, I get it! People expect a Verizon iPhone. Get over it. This is kinda like the Beatles on iTunes, or people talking for months that Michael Jackson died, etc.
Anyone know a good news site that says what has happened and then move on to the next news item? If this is all that MacRumors is going to post, I think it may be time to say goodbye to MacRumors. Just tired of seeing the same rumors repeated over & over again.
Yeah I think its time for you to say goodbye....whats wrong with talking about Michael Jackson dying? He was a great, and just because he died didnt mean his music and fans did...everyone that wants the VZW iPhone are going to read the articles that talks about it...if you dont care about this, then dont move your hand and click on the link about this. Sick of people like you.
No comments:
Post a Comment