Flynnstone
Apr 6, 12:11 PM
Looks like I need a bigger hard drive.
I was going to download the internet tonight :D
I was going to download the internet tonight :D
Kawaraxa
Apr 12, 08:32 AM
Hello.
I have iPad 2, 16gb 3G. As you can see in the pic, left side of display has grey shadows (these are not yellow spots). Very annoying in the white background. So what are these, is it normal?http://img155.imageshack.us/i/imageaceb.jpg/
http://img155.imageshack.us/i/imageaceb.jpg/
Thanks
I have iPad 2, 16gb 3G. As you can see in the pic, left side of display has grey shadows (these are not yellow spots). Very annoying in the white background. So what are these, is it normal?http://img155.imageshack.us/i/imageaceb.jpg/
http://img155.imageshack.us/i/imageaceb.jpg/
Thanks
XnavxeMiyyep
Jul 6, 07:08 PM
Macs are designed to have Dual Processors, and OS X is designed to take advantage of that. Panther will definitely take advantage of the second processor, as will various applications.
FX4568
Apr 4, 10:24 PM
Phew. Thanks for clearing that up for us. Until you explained it so well I was really worried.
Well, this is macrumors and i try to stay away from economic theories, but you asked for it, so here we go:
Monopolies cause "allocative deadweight loss" (although its main argument applies towards state-owned enterprises)
What does that mean?
In a competitive market, producers dont have the freedom to set a price because the rival can always undercut them until the point where lowering the price will cause in a loss.
BUT the monopolist firm can decide the price it charges by varying the quantity it produces, so it will produce only up to the quantity where its profit is maximized. UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES, the level of output is lower than the socially optimal one, which is where the max price a consumer is willing to pay is the same as the minimum price that the producer requires in order not to lose money.
When the amount produced is LESS than the socially optimal quantity, it means not serving some consumers who are perfectly willing to pay MORE than the minimum price that the producer requires but who are unwilling to bear the price at which the monopoly firm can max its profit. The unfulfilled desire of those neglected consumers is the social cost of monopoly.
So basically, monopolies will start losing more money when they start raising the price since consumers will either 1) not be able to access such services (since they will only make the MIN amount for MAX price and by using calculus, you would rather spend a little more in the amount produced and make a little less profit rather than having an EXACT amount although you would make the best profit IF you sold ALL items) or 2) consumers will just stop using it since cell phone devices are not a NECESSITY but instead a WANT. do you think you will pay whatever cellphone company if the price exceeds a certain comfort zone in your income bracket? you wont.
Furthermore, I will take it one more step. Monopolies can be good. If you look at the Mexican carrier, Telcel. The year Telcel was monopolized by Carlos Slim (riches man in the world now) coverage in Mexico grew more than it did in the hands of the state. According to the "monopoly=bad" argument, service in Mexico should have dropped in every other city that is not important in Mexico's economy while service should have exploded in cities such as Mexico City and Puebla. No, it exploded in the main cities while it also exploded with the whole country
In conclusion, monopolies are only dangerous IF the monopoly is a necessity based. i.e. lets say one man owned the whole united states food supply. Then yes, monopolies would be the worst. But not cell phone companies, cmon if monopolies were SOO good for the company why would Bell even break up his own company? just for the lulz? I dont think so. Because the government told him so? I certainly dont believe it since Bell probably would have had the power to lobby his way out and in case nothing worked he couldve just brought it up to the Supreme Court.
Anyways, enough with the economics jargon. Enjoy your economics class :P
Well, this is macrumors and i try to stay away from economic theories, but you asked for it, so here we go:
Monopolies cause "allocative deadweight loss" (although its main argument applies towards state-owned enterprises)
What does that mean?
In a competitive market, producers dont have the freedom to set a price because the rival can always undercut them until the point where lowering the price will cause in a loss.
BUT the monopolist firm can decide the price it charges by varying the quantity it produces, so it will produce only up to the quantity where its profit is maximized. UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES, the level of output is lower than the socially optimal one, which is where the max price a consumer is willing to pay is the same as the minimum price that the producer requires in order not to lose money.
When the amount produced is LESS than the socially optimal quantity, it means not serving some consumers who are perfectly willing to pay MORE than the minimum price that the producer requires but who are unwilling to bear the price at which the monopoly firm can max its profit. The unfulfilled desire of those neglected consumers is the social cost of monopoly.
So basically, monopolies will start losing more money when they start raising the price since consumers will either 1) not be able to access such services (since they will only make the MIN amount for MAX price and by using calculus, you would rather spend a little more in the amount produced and make a little less profit rather than having an EXACT amount although you would make the best profit IF you sold ALL items) or 2) consumers will just stop using it since cell phone devices are not a NECESSITY but instead a WANT. do you think you will pay whatever cellphone company if the price exceeds a certain comfort zone in your income bracket? you wont.
Furthermore, I will take it one more step. Monopolies can be good. If you look at the Mexican carrier, Telcel. The year Telcel was monopolized by Carlos Slim (riches man in the world now) coverage in Mexico grew more than it did in the hands of the state. According to the "monopoly=bad" argument, service in Mexico should have dropped in every other city that is not important in Mexico's economy while service should have exploded in cities such as Mexico City and Puebla. No, it exploded in the main cities while it also exploded with the whole country
In conclusion, monopolies are only dangerous IF the monopoly is a necessity based. i.e. lets say one man owned the whole united states food supply. Then yes, monopolies would be the worst. But not cell phone companies, cmon if monopolies were SOO good for the company why would Bell even break up his own company? just for the lulz? I dont think so. Because the government told him so? I certainly dont believe it since Bell probably would have had the power to lobby his way out and in case nothing worked he couldve just brought it up to the Supreme Court.
Anyways, enough with the economics jargon. Enjoy your economics class :P
more...
rivercottage
May 27, 10:06 AM
Not sure if I could manage the drive to trafford centre, and the queuing...but it somehow feels a bit wrong to go to PC world at 9 and buy one from some staff who dont even care?
Ramble Ramble - anybody else going to pc world to avoid queues?
Ramble Ramble - anybody else going to pc world to avoid queues?
�algiris
Apr 6, 11:46 AM
12 PB in hard drives?
more...
shingi70
Apr 13, 07:18 PM
The way you wrote it kinda implies it... (bold emphasis mine below).
Sorry for the confusion i wsd trying to compsre it to a straight person using the f word as a racist would use the n word.
Sorry for the confusion i wsd trying to compsre it to a straight person using the f word as a racist would use the n word.
Mal
Feb 15, 11:52 AM
Amazing set of icons! Could you tell me where to get them?:)
They appear to be Litho System (http://iconfactory.com/freeware/preview/lit0). Always liked them.
jW
They appear to be Litho System (http://iconfactory.com/freeware/preview/lit0). Always liked them.
jW
more...
Resist
Apr 26, 10:16 PM
The movie was nice, that app is an interesting concept.
Eithanius
Sep 3, 08:17 AM
Simple and clean, how I'd like my mind to be lately
http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/2496/picture1ci.jpg
Where can I get this...?
http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/2496/picture1ci.jpg
Where can I get this...?
more...
xi mezmerize ix
Feb 19, 05:51 AM
Mine switches between 2 every half hour. Big difference between last month: 26 switching every 15 minutes.
PhelpsiPhan
Oct 20, 10:51 AM
yeah i got it
Thanks anyway :)
Thanks anyway :)
more...
Macky-Mac
May 6, 01:19 PM
You are welcome to expend the effort to discover the back story. If you choose not to, go ahead keep spouting misinformation and jingoism, but be prepared to be called on it or to simply be ignored as lacking credibility.
since he feels you've failed to support your point, it's perfectly reasonable for him to point it out
since he feels you've failed to support your point, it's perfectly reasonable for him to point it out
Doctor Q
Mar 25, 12:20 PM
Disctop Light (http://www.mekentosj.com/disctop/)Normally when you insert a CD in your Mac it disappears, but where does it go? They simply pop up on your desktop! After installing Disctop, your inserted CD or DVD slides in from the side and neatly fades back into your desktop picture. Now you always know if there's a disc inside, and what type it is.The lite version is free.
I learned about it from forum member Lau.
I learned about it from forum member Lau.
more...
quantum003
Jun 7, 06:49 PM
Who.. does... Arn work for?! :D Very cool, I like it. I actually feel like the image of Steve Jobs as Dr. Evil is good enough to stand on it's own without any of the other animation necessary at all.
Mal
Dec 15, 10:51 PM
how do i make my top bar black???
I used SnowTunes Noir (http://cristomac24.deviantart.com/art/SnowTunes-iTunes-OS-X-theme-141310715) (it's part of the download, there's three versions in one installer, both Noir and HUD are dark, just different styles). It's been working well for a long time now.
jW
I used SnowTunes Noir (http://cristomac24.deviantart.com/art/SnowTunes-iTunes-OS-X-theme-141310715) (it's part of the download, there's three versions in one installer, both Noir and HUD are dark, just different styles). It's been working well for a long time now.
jW
more...
coconn06
Nov 1, 10:54 AM
Adium, Netnewswire lite, Romeo, KTA Tennis, Mactracker, Poisoned, Skype, VLC, MPlayer... :cool:
MS Office :D (oops) :eek:
It would be useful (this is not addressed just to you, Amigo) if instead of just listing a bunch of programs you gave a quick description of what each program does, like AL did in his original post. Links would be helpful, as well.
MS Office :D (oops) :eek:
It would be useful (this is not addressed just to you, Amigo) if instead of just listing a bunch of programs you gave a quick description of what each program does, like AL did in his original post. Links would be helpful, as well.
Sol
Apr 7, 11:10 PM
The controllers are really needed.
IMHO:
The Atari Joystick is the best video game controller of all time.
The trackball is a must for playing games like centipede or millipede.
And playing breakout or kaboom without a paddle controller is not the same.
As mentioned above the iCade has to include a trackball.
Trackball, jog-wheel, joystick, six face buttons and a button on each side for the pinball simulators. Hopefully all this and more for the iCade revisions and imitations to come.
IMHO:
The Atari Joystick is the best video game controller of all time.
The trackball is a must for playing games like centipede or millipede.
And playing breakout or kaboom without a paddle controller is not the same.
As mentioned above the iCade has to include a trackball.
Trackball, jog-wheel, joystick, six face buttons and a button on each side for the pinball simulators. Hopefully all this and more for the iCade revisions and imitations to come.
yellow
Jan 3, 03:54 PM
Welp... Got Notes 7.02 today.
Visually, it looks "fatter". The fonts are more substantial. Almost bold in look. It also looks more "modern" if you will.. or more "mac-like".
The installer actually uses the default OS X installer. That's nice.
The whole BS "Lotus Notes" directory with all it's turds is replaced by a nice Notes.app applicaiton bundle. That's nice.
They added Safari as an option for URL handlers. That's nice.
It upgraded 6.5.x just fine, though I had moved my data directory to my home directory a while back, not sure (yet) how the upgrade will go if one's data directory still exists in the app's hierarchy.
It IS a Universal Binary! WooHoo!! That's REALLY nice!
It's still a carbon app. That's NOT nice. You'll notice the old MacOS watch icon. A sure sign of a carbonized app.
It still uses BinHex 4.0 as the default Mac attachment encoder. That's NOT nice.
I don't know how it handles emails with embeded java or HTML (I'm sure other users have experienced Notes crashes when reading some emails with HTML in them). Wait and see on that one.
It seems to be a bit faster, despite being a carbon app still. Wait and see on that one.
Visually, it looks "fatter". The fonts are more substantial. Almost bold in look. It also looks more "modern" if you will.. or more "mac-like".
The installer actually uses the default OS X installer. That's nice.
The whole BS "Lotus Notes" directory with all it's turds is replaced by a nice Notes.app applicaiton bundle. That's nice.
They added Safari as an option for URL handlers. That's nice.
It upgraded 6.5.x just fine, though I had moved my data directory to my home directory a while back, not sure (yet) how the upgrade will go if one's data directory still exists in the app's hierarchy.
It IS a Universal Binary! WooHoo!! That's REALLY nice!
It's still a carbon app. That's NOT nice. You'll notice the old MacOS watch icon. A sure sign of a carbonized app.
It still uses BinHex 4.0 as the default Mac attachment encoder. That's NOT nice.
I don't know how it handles emails with embeded java or HTML (I'm sure other users have experienced Notes crashes when reading some emails with HTML in them). Wait and see on that one.
It seems to be a bit faster, despite being a carbon app still. Wait and see on that one.
livingfortoday
Jun 27, 08:44 PM
Okay! Okay.
I understand that you don't particularly feel like buying a pre-licked router.
So now only $10 shipped! That's a hell of a deal!
I understand that you don't particularly feel like buying a pre-licked router.
So now only $10 shipped! That's a hell of a deal!
Allyse
Jan 12, 09:12 PM
the best one out there ive seen has been the cartage u plug in the botttom. ive seen one with just the modafied sd card u plug on top and just plug it to ur computer to dump stiff on it, but does that one play rom (nes/snes..ect) any help?
elbirth
Jan 9, 11:21 PM
Is Macworld just a one day event??? or will they be showing more stuff? I was hoping to hear something about the 8 core mac pro.
Macworld lasts just about all week with the expo. It's for 3rd party companies to show off their new products and deals and the like, but Apple won't be announcing anything new unless they decide to be different this year. I'm really disappointed about no 8core Mac Pro yet as well.
I really hated this years keynote.
Correct me if i'm wrong but Jobs said at the start of it that it was going to be all about the mac ? What happened.
I thought the same thing until I watched the streaming keynote video. MacRumors really ruined my day by misquoting Steve. I was super hyped all morning about hearing a lot about the Mac, but Steve actually said (and I'm partially paraphrasing):
"2007 is gonna be a great year for the mac, but that's all we're gonna say about it today. over the next several months we're gonna be rolling out some awesome new stuff for the mac... but for today we're gonna move on"
Had MacRumors taken the time to get that one tiny bit of information right in their live text feed, I wouldn't have been nearly as upset about the whole thing as I was. They built my hopes up very high with that remark and it really ticked me off.
Macworld lasts just about all week with the expo. It's for 3rd party companies to show off their new products and deals and the like, but Apple won't be announcing anything new unless they decide to be different this year. I'm really disappointed about no 8core Mac Pro yet as well.
I really hated this years keynote.
Correct me if i'm wrong but Jobs said at the start of it that it was going to be all about the mac ? What happened.
I thought the same thing until I watched the streaming keynote video. MacRumors really ruined my day by misquoting Steve. I was super hyped all morning about hearing a lot about the Mac, but Steve actually said (and I'm partially paraphrasing):
"2007 is gonna be a great year for the mac, but that's all we're gonna say about it today. over the next several months we're gonna be rolling out some awesome new stuff for the mac... but for today we're gonna move on"
Had MacRumors taken the time to get that one tiny bit of information right in their live text feed, I wouldn't have been nearly as upset about the whole thing as I was. They built my hopes up very high with that remark and it really ticked me off.
FadeToBlack
Sep 2, 04:04 AM
I can't remember where I got the original image, but I'm sure you could find it on Google Images. Let's go Yanks!
TheMacFeed
Feb 18, 08:12 PM
Here it is. :)
http://kttns.org/za4zd
I have always had the default look, decided to give February a little funk.
http://i.imgur.com/1SITa.jpg
That is really nice!
http://kttns.org/za4zd
I have always had the default look, decided to give February a little funk.
http://i.imgur.com/1SITa.jpg
That is really nice!
No comments:
Post a Comment